NEW: Information about our distributions as of 1 April 2022 can be found here.

Work categorisation

For distribution in categories E, U (collection segments pursuant to Article 84 paragraphs 1-8), R and FS, the distribution keys I to IV (Articles 63 to 66) of GEMA’s Distribution Plan are, together with the number of performances and the point value, integral elements for the payment of the individual work.

To the Distribution Plan

Once a use of works that have been declared to and registered with GEMA in said categories has occurred, GEMA will determine the points in accordance with distribution keys I, II or III (Articles 63 to 65). Works pursuant to distribution key IV (Article 66), such as works with a full or predominantly improvisational character, shall be subject to direct accounting as part of categories ED or UD.

The point rating and, where applicable, the classification of individual works can be verified by means of the individual statements.

If a member wants to submit a claim regarding the point rating for specific works in the distribution, they can file an application for a qualified categorisation. The evaluation of such applications is based on complete music scores of the relevant works. Published or otherwise available recordings must also be submitted. Works which are entirely or nearly entirely of an improvisational character, or electro-acoustic music, are an exception. For these works, it suffices to submit the sound recordings and written explanations on the work arrangement. For the purpose of verifying the classification in the U category as contemporary jazz of artistic significance and with a concert character pursuant to Article 64 distribution key II item 2, it is sufficient to provide sound recordings.

Please contact our department “Music and Committee Services” with your (re)classification application.

Simply submit your application for work classification via our service “work classification” in the online portal for members

To the online portal

If you have any question, you can contact us via